Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Years Party


So how did you celebrate the arrival of the new year in your tiny house? Well, to sound totally deprived and backward, by sitting around and watching batteries charge. I know, I know, that sounds much like watching paint dry. It kind of is. But really, it's very exciting when you have just doubled the size of your battery bank, your generator is newly repaired (thanks to a friend with some amazing skills), the batteries are almost topped off, and it's nearly 70 degrees in your house while it's 20 something below zero outside. Way more fun than watching a ball drop or anything like that. So that's my new years party, hope yours was as exciting and useful!


That 620 amp hours of stored power now folks! Pretty exciting.


And even though my house is comfy and warm, these temps are really showing how much moisture there was in the air. When all that ice melts again, I'm going to have some mopping up to do.



10 comments:

  1. Looks like you might need a dehumidifier! Happy New Year! Look forward to more updates and lots of pictures as your 2015 progresses. Stay warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to hear you stayed warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got a charge out of New Years eve (groan). Happy New Year. I am a bit surprised the heat source in your house does notary out the ad more. Maybe because here, when it was -13, we still run a humidifier and we have gas heat. Maybe I missed it but what is your heat? I saw vents on the interior pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may have a typo or two? I'm not sure I understood your question totally. My heat is propane.

      Delete
    2. ahh, the curse of auto-correct. I meant "does not dry out the air more"

      Delete
    3. Gotcha. ;) It seems propane tends to add moisture to the air, as does all the cooking I do on a daily basis. So even though our climate it pretty dry, my house still seems to end up pretty moist.

      Delete
  4. I am curious as to why you didn't concider a wood stove for heat in your house over LP? My wife and I are in the process of building our big tiny house and when we weighed all the pros and cons wood seemed the best choice. We are thinking that a woodstove will also be cheaper than filling propane bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did consider a wood stove, especially as I have access to nearly unlimited firewood. Providing I am willing to put in some time of course. But I chose to not go with wood heating for these reasons:

    It gets really hot and then really cold. I grew up heating with wood and am aware of these swings and guessed they would be even more extreme in a small space.

    A wood stove takes up more physical space and needs more clearance all around it than a propane one like I have, and obviously in small spaces, anything that takes more space can be an issue.

    Wood stoves only are warm when there is a fire inside obviously. So, if i was ever going to be away from home for more than a few hours, especially when it's cold, I'd have to have a backup way to heat anyway or risk freezing my pipes and plants.

    But aside from those considerations, I really liked the idea of a wood stove.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for all your time and effort posting your trials and tribulations, as well as joys.....I really want to do what you are doing for me and hubby, and you are an invaluable resource to me......:) Thanks again.....Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! It's always nice to know someone finds it useful.

      Delete