Saturday, August 22, 2015

Canning in Fy Nyth


Have you ever wondered if you could still can things if you had a tiny house? Yes, it is possible! I made a whole bunch of pickles this week. Both dill and sweet. The cucumbers below came from my garden and there are babies still growing, but these were the only mature ones at the moment. Next year I'll have to plant more.



So I talked to our local grocer, and they ordered me 66 pounds of cukes!



I do have a pretty big kitchen for my little house, but this project filled it up!



I was able to use a lot of fresh dill from my garden for the dill pickles.



And did several batches of sweet pickles too. I ended up with about 35 quarts total.


Some of these will be going out as gifts to several friends, but I should be set on my pickle supple for the year. And I really like pickles!

7 comments:

  1. You have no idea what a big smile this post brought to my face this morning! Excellent post, job well done....now I wonder if I could do this aboard the Galatea! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm assuming that's your boat? I'm sure you could though if you get too much movement, keeping jars sealed might be a problem. ;)

      Delete
  2. Love this post - and that pickle-shelf! No-canning would be the end of me and a tiny house! ;-) Still dreaming of one though and feeling reassured now.
    Lots of love from around the globe,
    maren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it works for me because I cook for so many other people, things tend to disappear rapidly. ;)

      Delete
  3. Ariel, this comment has nothing to do with canning. But it does have to do with your earlier posts.

    Last night I watched the final episode of "departures" (Netflix streaming) and they were visiting an international science community in Antartica. Part of the camp tour included a visit to their compost house for all the toilet sewage. Guess what was facilitating the making of compost? Worms! Lots and lots of worms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! I have a friend who's been there a few times but I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. love to have a tiny house someday. I am still not financial able to do so. I love your videos.

    ReplyDelete