Saturday, August 29, 2015

Laundry Day in a Tiny House


There are many options for laundry in tiny space. From laundry mats to all-in-one units, to your mother's house. This is the setup I've been using since before moving into my tiny house actually. I used it while living in a motel as well. It is more manual than many options, but  I don't mind this. 


I have a wonder wash as my washing machine. You just fill it with clothes, water, and your choice of detergent. I use soap nuts since they do not irritate my skin and keep my water totally safe for dumping in my garden. More about them in my post here.


Then you simply close the lid tightly and spin the machine back and forth to tumble everything. Drain and add fresh water and repeat to have a rinse cycle. When it's warm, it seems most handy to do all this on my little porch. In the winter I stay inside.


To drain the machine, you stick this little spout in, and it drains from the bottom. I collect the water in a bucket and pour it right on my plants.


Once everything is rinsed, it goes in my Nina Soft Spin Drier. This works like a giant salad spinner and gets an amazing amount of water out. Clothing is nearly dry to the touch when it comes out, but still a tiny bit damp.


Out of the spin drier, bigger items go outside on my wash line like the very first photo, and little things or delicates hang on the folding rack I have inside. At least with the dry air we normally have here, things only need to hang for an hour or so to be totally dry.

And that's my laundry day here at Fy Nyth!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks! Very informative and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you had considered an old-fashioned clothes wringer for the drying option? they work great and take up so little room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It crossed my mind, but I have no experience with one. How much water does it actually get out? Something smaller would be nice...

      Delete
  3. Hi! First time reading your blog. I came over here from your YouTube channel. You referenced this post in the comments of your hair washing video. I have really been enjoying your videos. My question is this: are your clothes wrinkled with this method? I don't iron anything and I take the clothes out of the dryer before it can get wrinkled. Do you do anything to prevent the wrinkles? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not had a problem with wrinkles, but I don't tend to own clothing that wrinkles much since I've always hated ironing and don't even own an iron. :)

      Delete
  4. I love your videos. I like the "how to" and showing of all the appliances and the chores that are a part of life, even the non pretty ones. One that I have not seen or been able to find is a video on you washing clothes & doing laundry. Your videos always have tidbits of information or short cuts, or so called "tricks of the trade", which I find helpful even not being in a Tiny House. In your video about clothing storage you mentioned that you have enough of some clothing articles to last for weeks at a time & some clothes go to their holding spot on the back of the bathroom door. I have scrolled through all the videos and do not find one on demonstrating how you wash clothes and use your washer, I personally would appreciate such a video and may be an idea for an upcoming video. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been using the laundry mat and can't help but wonder what was washed/dried in the machine before I came in? Scary! I will look into your way of doing laundry. Thank you so much for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI: JUST SEEN YOU'RE STUFF ON THE INTERWEB. I COMMEND YOU FOR WHAT YOU ARE DOING, IT TAKES A WELL GROUNDED,DISCIPLINED PERSON TO LIVE THAT WAY. THE WORLD NEEDS MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU.
    ONE QUESTION I WOULD ASK IS: HOW DO YOU GET YOUR FIREWOOD AND HOW MUCH IS IT IF IT'S DELIVERED? THANKX. JOHN

    ReplyDelete