Thursday, December 24, 2015

Merry Christmas from Fy Nyth!


Merry Christmas from my cozy little house. It's certainly a white Christmas here! I hope you are all having equally cozy and beautiful days. Here's what has been happening around here over the last few days.




Right now, the sides of my paths have walls that come nearly to my shoulders! Here's a short clip that will give you an idea of how thickly it was coming down. More than an inch an hour for a while!



I never have really celebrated Christmas and never had a tree, but I do enjoy flower arranging. So I made quite a few winter pine arrangements for myself and some friends. And since I've never liked most bright colors, winter colors to me are always whites, greens, blues, and silver. Not red and green.


Over the last week, the snow has just piled up deeper and deeper around here. 




But inside is still warm and cozy! Many people who see the snow photos wonder about the inside temp. Well it's between 65 and 70 F depending where I set the thermostat. I leave it turned down a bit  when I'm gone and turn it up when I'm home for a while. 



I also made several pine swags for the sides of my door, and the entrance to my lane.


If it keeps snowing like this all winter, I won't be able to see out the windows before long! Though the forecast for almost the next month now is calling for very little snow and lots of cold clear weather. Down into the -20's F. If that is what happens, I will be very happy to have all this snow around to insulate everything.



I really do love this cozy little spot and living here.



Manipi seems to be recovering quite well from his near death by starvation. He's getting heavy and seems to be quite happy to stay here. Every time I get home he comes running for some petting and attention and often watches the world from his spot curled up on the porch.


I also made swags and arrangements for several friends. It is fun for me to get the chance to do some arranging like this again. It's a relaxing hobby. I forgot to take photos of several of them before giving them away, but here are a few examples.


The swags stay fresh for a long time outside as long as the weather doesn't get warm. And the basket arrangements will stay fresh for weeks as long as you keep the floral foam in the base wet.




Now I am planning to enjoy a quiet day of cooking, writing, and reading here and hope you all have a lovely Christmas with whatever you are doing as well!



21 comments:

  1. Thank you Ariel! Have a blessed wonderful cozy Christmas! I love seeing your snowy pictures! No snow at all here on the East coast. In fact..it's about 70degrees!!!!! I shouldn't have to think about wearing shorts on Christmas in the NE. Definitely not normal and not normal to hear all the birds singing like it's spring this morning! So I'm happy to see the snow falling on your homestead! Your house looks beautiful in the snow with your pine/flower arrangement. Merry Christmas!
    -Raven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. The snow banks are even higher now. Do you have any white on the ground yet? And thank you.

      Delete
  2. The greenery you've added to your house makes it even more festive and welcoming. I love it. It's especially refreshing to see your photos of the snow outside as we sit with temperatures in the 70's. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Where are you that is that warm right now? It's only really that warm here for a few months in the summer.

      Delete
  3. Happy Fresh Greenery Arranging Time, Ariel. It's evident how much you enjoy this art, because these pieces are beautiful. BTW, you certainly are getting some serious aerobic exercise with all the snow shoveling you're doing. Next thing you know, you'll be bench pressing the local moose. Thanks so much for sharing today's photos of your lovely home and new furry companion. Cheers, Ardith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is something I find very relaxing and I always hope others will like them too. Actually I've gotten pretty out of shape thanks to being too busy with other stuff for the last 9 months or so to work out. So I can certainly feel it in my back when I shovel for a while. I could deadlift a little over 200 pounds at one point, but moose are many times that! I think I'll pass on that. ;)

      Delete
  4. Like receiving a lovely Christmas card--thanks! Here in the mountains of western Virginia we have rain, rain, rain and temperatures in the 70's. :O
    A very Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are welcome! I hope you get a little bit of your own white at some point this winter.

      Delete
  5. That's a Beautiful place your have there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you get the bells on that swag? They are lovely! Antique or replica? I'd like to find some similar. Thanks for sharing your talents with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They belong to a friend of mine and are antiques. I'm not really sure where she got them, but I did think they fit the swag I made her quite well. Sorry I'm not much help with a source for something similar!

      Delete
  7. Merry Christmas, Ariel! Your tiny home looks so festive with all that greenery! I bet it smells wonderful! We had a White Christmas here in Colorado, too. But you're little place in the woods tops Denver, for sure! Blessings! Cat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CO isn't that far away! If you ever want to come visit in person, just let me know.

      Delete
  8. Keep looking at your photos and dreaming. Early phase of planning/building our THOW. Looking forward to going back out west. Photos are just gorgeous. Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Where in the west are you planning to land with your house?

      Delete
  9. Your home is lovely and I know exactly how cozy it must feel. however my heart breaks that Manipi can't share the warmth with you. Bless you for doing all that you have with him, the poor thing probably wondered off trying to find his original home. He seems like Homer enduring the obstacles of his journey to get back home. Best wishes to both of you in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seems so happy and content now. He actually follows me around while I do outside projects or shovel snow like he's a puppy. He does come inside for some petting now and then, but really doesn't seem to mind living outside, so we are getting along well.

      Delete
  10. OK so I looked for an email but didn't find one. I am checking in to make sure your doing well as I haven't gotten a post to my in box in a few weeks and I am hoping that its because your busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be a link close to the top of the page on the righthand side. But my email is ariel.c.mcglothin at gmail.com if that's not showing up for you. And yeah, I was crazy busy, but I'm trying to catch up now.

      Delete
  11. Your pine arrangements are beautiful. I have always celebrated Christmas, but I've always liked the blue, white, and silver, better than red & green. I'm really enjoying reading through your old posts, while keeping current on your YouTube videos. Maybe one day I'll get to retire to a tiny house :)

    ReplyDelete