Thursday, August 24, 2017

Recipe, Look Back, and an Eclipse!



Summer is continuing to be full and busy around my house. Things are staying green this year! Probably in part due to a lack of frosts this summer. Last year for instance, we had a pretty hard frost about every other week. That was pretty hard on all the growing green stuff, but they seem much happier this summer. So things like my cucumbers are actually producing! And I made a cucumber salad.




I also finally uploaded a quick time lapse of rebuilding my woodshed after the record snowpack last year caved it in. Obviously, this was shot a few months ago!


My carrots started off very slow, but now I am picking quite a few. In lots of fun colors!


Yes those are all carrots! I think growing different colors than the norm is just fun.


My zucchini's and summer squash are also really enjoying the lack of frosts, so I'm eating a lot of squashes as well. In dark greens, speckled greens, yellow crook necked, yellow worty, and pale green globes.


The flowers around the base of the house are also looking wonderfully full. The only fertilizer they get is the diluted contents of the liquids bucket from my toilet!



And then a few days ago, the Great American Eclipse came to visit me! A few friends joined me to watch something we'd never seen before.


I've never had the opportunity to watch a solar eclipse before and was unsure of what I would be able to capture, but I did get a few shots that I was pretty happy with!


The corona when the sun went full dark, was a truly amazing thing to witness!


With the sun back to normal, all the flowers around my place are attracting all the small nectar seekers which are always fun to watch!








And there's still some spotty fawns running around the area as well. 

Where were you for the eclipse and had you ever seen one before? I love to hear everyone's stories!


7 comments:

  1. Ariel, I love your eclipse photos! What focal length lens did you use? How about the filter? I was going to get a sheet of solar film to try but was unable to get it on time. Just wanted to say, "well done."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! 400 mm with a sheet or solar film rubber banded over the lens protector. That was my 20ish dollar solution to prevent needing shell out a few hundred for a glass filter. :) I did order mine many many months ago because I was worried about it being out of stock.

      Delete
  2. We so enjoy seeing your photos and watching your podcasts. Growing up on a farm, I understand the work of a garden. That being said, I also remember the enjoyment of having fresh produce. Nothing tastes as good as the fruit of your labor. You have carved out a very wonderful life albeit the loveload involved. To have the opportunity to see and experience the nature around you is on our bucket list. Another year closer to building our THOW and begin the next part of our journey. I'll give you a shout out when the time comes that we head West. Hope to visit someday. Thank you for sharing your photos, snippets of your life and also for keeping it real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you are headed this way! And you are welcome.

      Delete
  3. Great Photos you put up of the Eclipse.
    We saw it in Chas. SC but cloudy and not as clear as you saw.
    An Awesome experience none the less!
    Nice job on your blog too, always enjoy reading and seeing what you are experiencing living the THOW life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever tried making your cucumber salad made with spring onions, a clove of crushed garlic, dill and sour cream? Salt the cucumbers first, let sit and sweat, pour off juices, then mix in your sour cream, onions, garlic, dill and a tablespoon of vinegar. This is the way my German mom made it. My kids and grandkids love it.

    ReplyDelete