Thursday, July 2, 2015

Big Cooking


Several people have said since I mention that I cook in my big tiny house kitchen a lot, they are curious what kind of stuff I make? Really, it varies a lot with what's in season and how much time I have to cook that day. But this was dinner last night. 

Above are the fruit, veggie, and beef kabobs that I grilled. I have a small grill that I normally use for car camping trips, but it is also the only grill I have, so it gets used at home (outside) as well. The weather is really warm here, so outside cooking and finger food sounded like a good plan.


Then I made a rhubarb custard pie. I normally cook almost totally gluten and dairy free due to some food intolerance's I and a few of the other folks I cook for have, but this specific pie was a special request from a friend.


Pickled Danish Christmas cabbage is an amazing sweet and sour and spicy way to eat red cabbage which makes a great side dish. I really love this stuff!


And the kabobs after they came off the grill. So here's one example of my cooking. If I have time and remember to snap some photos, I'll add more meals in the future.

5 comments:

  1. Yum, yum---looks fantastic, and I'm sure tasted the same! I was interested in your comment about a root cellar in your previous post---good luck! I've seen some very simple plans for small root cellars I'm considering. I remember my grandmother's stone lined root cellar and how invaluable it was for keeping the produce from my grandfather's garden. I love knowing that you can cook--a lot--in a tiny house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I am having second thoughts about the design of my very small tiny house kitchen...

    Michelle in Michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess it depends how much time you really spend cooking. I know many people do not do much of that these days, and if that's the case, using limited space for a large kitchen it probably a waste. It's just something that is really important to me.

      Delete
  3. That cabbage sounds amazing, any shot you would share a recipe? Love love love your blog by the way, I'm currently living in my little motor home but am hoping to have a winter worthy tiny home in the not too distant future. Thanks for letting us in on what living in one is really like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! I followed something like this, but most of my cooking is done by dumping, pouring, and taste testing, so I probably can't tell you exactly what I did. ;) I was introduced to it recently by a friend who asked if I could try to make some like he remembered his mom cooking, and it's one of my new favorite ways to eat cabbage!

      http://mydanishkitchen.com/2012/11/12/rodkal-sweet-and-sour-red-cabbage/

      Delete