Monday, December 22, 2014

Fy Nyth's kitchen


My tiny kitchen is actually quite large for the size of my house. Which is good because I use it a lot, most things in it every day since I really enjoy cooking. I make almost everything from scratch and cook for several friends as well as barter meals for some things like my gym membership/crossfit classes. So the kitchen was probably the most important thing for me when designing my house.


This is my oven. It's a 20'' propane range. The space inside fits a standard cookie sheet and I can even get my huge roast pan which will hold a 20+ pound turkey in there as long as it is the only thing in the oven. There are a few times I wish I had 6 burners, but the majority of the time 4 is just fine.



I have a lot of kitchen utensils, but never had many kitchen appliances. I suppose I prefer to do most things by hand. The only appliance I do have is an old kitchenaid mixer that was actually the one my parents had before I was born. I got it when they upgraded to a newer and larger one. It's tucked in the back above the fridge just because I do not use it on a daily basis. But most other tools are somewhere very near my stove and quite handy to reach as I'm cooking.



My sink get heavy use. I like keeping things neat and tidy, but it seems that there are always dishes in the drainer. (as wells as things like a cranberry tart and alfalfa sprouts sitting around) This is actually the wrong sink which was installed due to a paperwork mess up at Tumbleweed. But they have been amazing about being willing to fix it and cover all the costs for the correct one and to have it installed. Once that is finished I'll have a double sink which will be really nice with the amount of use this one gets.



My fridge and freezer are electric but pretty efficient. They are not large, but I can pack a good bit of stuff in there. And yes, that is two gallons of kombucha brewing on top of the fridge and more bottled inside. My scoby's are my only "pets" right now since my composting worms all died out for some reason. When it's a bit warmer, I will replace them.



My freezer full of elk, venison, and trout.


These small inset shelves (in the bathroom wall, that door closest to the fridge goes to the bathroom) are handy for holding glasses and jars.


The next door over is my pantry. It's hard to see the depth from this photo, but I can pack a ton of food in here. I added the spice racks on the door and they help free up a lot of shelf space.



The whole kitchen has a lot of drawers and cupboards where some of the less tidy looking stuff lives so it's not on the open top shelves.



I have cooked a lot of meals here so far and find the kitchen very comfortable and workable. Also, I have learned that it's best to turn my heat down when I start to prepare a meal. With both the oven and a burner or three running, this little house becomes really warm quite quickly. I also often open a loft window just a crack to let out some steam as my windows will fog up and start dripping water pretty soon from all the steam produced by most meals. 

36 comments:

  1. That would be my favorite room too. I loved reading your posts and seeing your pictures. Way to go! Sometime when hubby truck trip takes him through that area I would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can come see it, but I'll warn you, where I live is not on the way to anywhere. It's about as far from any major route as you can get in the lower 48 actually. It's kind of hard for trucks to even get close to here, especially in the winter.

      Delete
  2. I'm amazed at the amount of storage you have in the kitchen! Was it standard, or did you add a lot of cabinetry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have more than the standard but even the standard layouts have a pretty good amount. I just have a ton of kitchen stuff and food and wanted to have room for all of it.

      Delete
  3. I really love this. Am thinking about building a tiny house myself and your blog is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! I hope something I write is helpful and good luck with your house.

      Delete
  4. Maybe try putting the 3M type plastic on your windows to help avoid the condensation. Seems like it would make a nice barrier to keep the extreme inside/outside temps from meeting at the glass and causing the condensation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might work. I have used it before in an old house with super rotten window frames where I used to live. Maybe this was only because those frames were already rotted, but it seemed that moisture got trapped between the plastic and the glass. It did stop the visible streams of cold air pouring in around those windows though. Have you used it on windows that are not already rotting?

      Delete
    2. I don't remember any of the windows I covered as being rotting, just in old houses....not necessarily with rotten window frames. I have never had moisture get trapped between the film and the glass. I do make sure the windows are free from any water/moisture before applying the film, though. I've even gone so far as to blow-dry them to remove any moisture. :-) Maybe try to rid one window of moisture and try putting the film on and see what happens. :-) I hope it will work for you!

      Delete
    3. Ok, if it gets really cold again I will probably give it a shot. Right now the condensation is gone. It's been helped by a few factors. It's still below freezing, but almost 50 degrees warmer than when the condensation/ice was at it's worst. And, I've been leaving the one loft window open a crack almost around the clock so moisture can vent through there without me having to run a fan. And my windows are all dry right now.

      Delete
  5. Hi Ariel, Inspiring to see a tiny house off the grid. What brand and models did you use for your refrigerator and stove?
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Brown 20 inch propane range and an Avanti Fridge. Links to each below.

      http://www.brownstoveworksinc.com/20in/tnm1307bkw.html

      http://www.amazon.com/Avanti-RA7316PST-Apartment-Refrigerator-Platinum/dp/B00D1SZNO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431576869&sr=8-1&keywords=avanti+refrigerator

      Delete
  6. I love your kitchen the most especially all the storage, the only thing I'd do different is have a sliding door to the bathroom but everything else is perfect....I know your tiny house is a Tumbleweed and their usually expensive if you don't mind me asking what you paid for it and if you did it yourself? One of the best ones yet....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. A sliding door would be nice, but wouldn't fit with the shelves in the wall very well for me personally. I don't mind you asking at all. I wrote a whole post on the cost here. http://fynyth.blogspot.com/2014/11/is-my-tiny-house-too-expensive.html I did not do the building myself.

      Delete
  7. Hello, I really like this article, it was really informative. I’ll be looking forward for your next post….
    abhibus coupon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best Tiny House Kitchen Award. I make breads and this is the only one that I could do that in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great design, from a layout perspective in planning my TH with a mind for flow while cooking...
    It appears the pantry depth is the end of the bathroom shower correct.
    When the pantry door is open does it block access to your fridge?
    If yes above, if the pantry door opened left (blocking the glasses) would that give you better access to everything while cooking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually the bathroom door that opens and blocks the fridge. The pantry door is the next one over, across from the stove and it does open to block the glasses. Since I don't tend to use the bathroom and fridge at the same time, that's not really a problem. I can have the pantry door open and still access everything else in the kitchen.

      Delete
  10. Your amazing kitchen has to be the best utilisation of space and storage I have ever seen. Your whole house is a dream, surrounded by the snow. I bet your appliances have to work hard to support your cooking hobby but the rewards look superb when you show us your homemade produce in your fridge. Are you open to visitors?

    Lisa @ Westinghouse Small Appliances

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do like my kitchen. And sure, if you are in the area, just email me. I'd be happy to give you a tour.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a wonderful home, and your posts are so full of information and a great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read about using storage in the ceiling that you might try in the kitchen. (between the joist, I think is correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen those too. They look like a pretty good idea to me!

      Delete
  14. Hello, I have a non-tiny house question. How helpful has the Kombucha been for you? I've actually never heard of it until I read your post. Is it very difficult to get started? And I do love your tiny house, I hope to one day have my own. But until then I'll enjoy reading about others. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I could give you a measurement on how it's helped, but I enjoy drinking it! And from everything I know, it should be generally good for you. No it's not hard at all. I'd recommend checking out https://wellnessmama.com/2673/kombucha-recipe/. She has several good recipes and lots of kombucha info. Best wished on your tiny house plans!

      Delete
  15. Very Nice ! You shared great designs of house.i really like it.thanks for sharing this.i bookmark this site to visit you again.
    check this site

    ReplyDelete
  16. sports watches that are made from titanium are great, expensive and very lightweight� see post

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you really desire to get such type of information, visit this blog quickly. DehydratorLab

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really impressed after read this because of some quality work and informative thoughts . I just wanna say thanks for the writer and wish you all the best for coming!. How To Cook Fast

    ReplyDelete
  19. The information you have posted is very useful. The sites you have referred was good. Thanks for sharing. King Bedroom Sets

    ReplyDelete
  20. Where do you get your wild meat? Do you kill it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A neighbor and I hunt and process a couple elk together every year.

      Delete
  21. I'm considering getting a wood cookstove for off grid, doubles as the heat source. I love the new ones with the glass front and air wash. Did you ever consider one, and what are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of a wood cook stove. They tend to be too large for my current tiny house and would cook me right out of here. But if you have a little more space, they are wonderful!

      Delete