Saturday, November 11, 2017

Firewood Thoughts


Winter is settling in around my house and I'm curious to see what the weather does this year. I've heard all kinds of predictions that say extra hard to mild. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see. :) The mountains higher than me already have almost 90 inches of snow, but here around my house it's fallen and melted back and fourth a bunch of times so nothing is very deep yet. 


I'm finding that being home more is changing a bit how my firewood use works out. Here's a few thoughts on that. 


I have now split all that wood that came from the trees that blew over near the garden, but due to increased usage, I'm now anticipating needing a little more than I used last year. So, before the snow gets and deeper, I went out and collected about another cord of logs. Which I am now cutting into rounds and then will split as I have time.


I am totally loving the slightly more relaxed life, at least until there's snow to shovel every day! And as always, I love watching the little creatures that scamper by my place!






6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed you video and glad to see you are enjoying your extra time. Love the squirrel and nuthatch photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved heating with wood, but my wife didn't like the extra dusting. I probably wouldn't be up to the task anymore anyway. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just discovered your YT channel tonight. Currently on my 6th video. One thing I doubt you have a video on.... your knowledge of Welsh language. Which I would find interesting as that is my heritage. My grandma only taugh me two sayings.

    Great place and love that you are not sinking having jumped in with both feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I pass you a tip my grandfather taught me about splitting wood? When you go for those larger logs like the one at 2min:58sec , and the axe gets securely lodged in the wood, What you want to do is flip the axe over, and hit the back of the axle firmly on the splitting stump. What this does is uses the weight of the log, which is often heavier than the axe to split it's self over the axe when you strike the base of the axe. Guaranteed to split those heavier logs with far less effort. I Love your blog by the way and am inspired to build a tiny house here in my own mountains of Utah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I pass you a tip my grandfather taught me about splitting wood? When you go for those larger logs like the one at 2min:58sec , and the axe gets securely lodged in the wood, What you want to do is flip the axe over, and hit the back of the axle firmly on the splitting stump. What this does is uses the weight of the log, which is often heavier than the axe to split it's self over the axe when you strike the base of the axe. Guaranteed to split those heavier logs with far less effort. I Love your blog by the way and am inspired to build a tiny house here in my own mountains of Utah!
    http://megawebnetwork.com/2017/11/01/4138/

    ReplyDelete