Saturday, November 21, 2020

Tiny House Cooking - Split Pea Soup


With the snow coming down out there, it's good weather for a nice hearty soup! Like most soups, you can pretty much toss anything you like in a pot together and it will probably be tasty. But this is a version of split pea soup that I enjoy. And it is a good way to use a bunch of root veggies that I have stored from when I cleaned everything out of the garden before it froze solid. First, what you can see in the above photo is bone broth and dry split peas starting to simmer in a nice big pot. You can use water instead, but the flavor and nutrition are both better with broth. Start them cooking while you get everything else ready as it takes the peas a little while to soften. Use less split peas than you think you'll need as they soak up an amazing amount of liquid and seem to "grow" as they cook. 😋


Then I grabbed a pile of onions, potatoes, and carrots. 


And chopped them all up. 




And tossed them in with the simmering peas and broth.  




Then added herbs. Again, you can go with any flavors you enjoy, but I used parsley, oregano, thyme, salt, and black pepper. 


Let everything continue to simmer till the peas are soft, as well as the potatoes, onions, and carrots. When everything is as tender as you like, if you aren't going for a vegetarian version, add a little diced ham. I don't eat much pork, but sometimes have friends that make a big ham roast over the holidays and then give me all the leftovers. Which I usually dice up and freeze to use for dishes like this. And it does add a nice flavor, but if you like, you could totally skip it. 


Let everything simmer for a few more minutes to a few hours. I think the flavor is even better the next day as all the flavors have time to blend. But either way, this is a hearty and filling meal on a cold day. And handy even if you have a very small tiny house kitchen as a single pot is all that's required. Do you have a favorite version of split pea soup? 



18 comments:

  1. Big house or small, good cooking is good cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious. I love soup during cold weather. Doris High

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Ariel - I'll be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your soup looks sooooooooooo good! I'm in Eastern Canada and swear I can smell it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your posts and your pictures are amazing.Thank you for sharing. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use broth from a bit of smoked turkey for my split pea soup. Yours sounds yummy too - a comforting meal and great when you know tomorrow you'll be too busy or tired to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bowl full you got there looks darn good enough to me Ariel, just the job for a cold winters day. Only thing missing for me would be a splatter of sauce we got here in the British Isles called Yorkshire Relish, been around these parts for ever,and I always keep a few spare bottles in my larder. love the stuff with soups, got a tangy spicy flavour. Know you dont grow celery but I always put a full chopped up head of the stuff in my soup pot, love it, and for me soup would not be soup if there was not couple of pounds of some sort of diced meat in the mix. Made my Christmas cum hunters pudding a few weeks ago, got lots of whiskey and guinness stout in it, smell would blow your head off when I took it out of the can. All wrapped up in parchment and foil now til Christmas week, only way I take alcohol, think I am the only Irish man in this country who does drink the stuff, Keep Safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks soooo good! Inspiring me to make some. I love split pea and haven’t had any in years. Thank you for sharing. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ariel,
    I wonder how you think some cornbread or some hush puppies would go with this winter "survival soup". And also some garlic plus a splash of Frank's hot sauce. I use that ingredient to cull out the gluttons that always come by. I want it all for just me, ha, ha, ha. Ya'll come on by anyway. There is plenty if you hurry. Now make yourselfves scarce. Go on, git.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like some of the other responders, I, too, had sort of forgotten about some of the finer aspects of cooking during the winter doldrums. Split pea soup, corn chowder, chicken soups of all sorts---all comfort foods for the soul! My son is out as I type picking up some of the 'stuff' that I need for making my first winter soup. Thank you for the timely reminder. Be well---miss you lots! Terry of K Lazy Y

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I don't have ham, I use Hillshire sausage diced, or a nice smoked ham hock just for flavor but no meat. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made vegetarian split pea soup just last week. Delish! Only difference is I used veggie broth instead of bone broth and left out the ham. Happy Holidays to you, Ariel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Learned a great deal from your teachings. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got inspired by your recipe and made some split pea soup for dinner! I cooked some bacon first and sautéed the onions in the bacon grease (my sister's brilliant suggestion!) then added the carrots, potatoes, and some garlic. I cooked mine enough for the peas to be mushier because I like a thick soup. Then I topped it with the crumbled bacon bits. Thanks for the recipe and the food inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete