Sunday, April 18, 2021

Living in a Tiny House in the Woods with Big Predators

As you probably know, I live in a little clearing in the woods. On the side of a mountain. In an area with a whole lot of wildlife large and small as you have probably gathered from the many photos I have shared over the years. Like in the above shot, there are five grizzly bears at once! This has lead to a lot of questions from folks over the years about how do I deal with living near large things that could potentially kill or eat me? So, I finally sat down for a long discussion of my thoughts on that. Which you can find below. Going over some of the methods I have employed for seven and a half years now, so far successfully avoiding conflicts between my large predator neighbors and myself.

  

And for the not so video inclined ☺, I live near lots of big things. Grizzly bears, black bears, mountain lions, wolf packs, and even moose. Which certainly don't eat people but can attack and kill them as well. And then there are also a lot of smaller things like coyotes, foxes, deer, elk, pine martens, raccoons, skunks, bob cats, etc. Not likely to kill a person, but for a whole host of reasons, still creatures I don't care to run smack into in the dark.  

I'll sum it up with this. Things I've done to avoid conflicts with big animals:

1. Leave no food or other smelly like food things outside. Ever. Including garbage of any kind. Keep things like bird feeders well out of reach as I discussed in another recent post.
 
2. Make sure you don't surprise each other. Motion detector lights or flood lights at night, checking the clearing when coming home at night before exiting a vehicle, etc. Be alert to what's going on around you.

These two points I think have kept conflicts from happening and so I have never needed or used either of the backup plans below.

3. Have bear spray (high powered mace, I would not hesitate to use this on anything with mucous membranes though I have never needed to yet) handy. I have one on me if I am walking around, one in the car, and one by the door. 

4. And should all that fail, yes I do have a shotgun right over the door. Loaded with 3 shells of shot and then two slugs should those fail to deter or stop an attack. 

So far, it's been a whole lot of years and thankfully I've just been able to enjoy watching all my wild neighbors. So here's some glimpses into things that have come by. Some as seen on game camera shots, some with my photography. All these are with the house in the background or photographed from the house, standing on the porch, or within a few feet of it. Not including any of the other many photos I have of wild things around the corner, up or down the mountain side from the house, along the creeks nearby etc. Just a few of the things that come right by our home.


A big male mountain lion that wondered by one night while we were sleeping.



Mountain lion muddy paw prints on my solar panels from one of more kittens when 5 of them came by the house with their mother. Cat scat right under the solar panels.



Grizzly tracks. A mother and babies.


And a family of 5 grizzlies that visited the house. 



A wolf that came by, again while we were either sleeping or at a friends place. I don't remember which now.



And littler stuff. Like a coyote.


A family of deer.


Lots and lots of foxes.



And even more different moose.


So that's a little look at living with my wild neighbors. They might be a little different than some of your neighbors. ☺

14 comments:

  1. Think a handgun just in case you couldn't get to the shot gun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is a handgun going to do anything more than piss off a bear or moose though? Also it's hard to miss with a shotgun.

      Delete
    2. I guess if you can get to the shot gun, I think the right hand gun would probable do more than piss anybody off.

      Delete
  2. amazing - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again thank you for your courage and insight to being independent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think how blessed you are to have the technology to capture some of these creatures, especially those at night. Cheers from British Columbia, Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you that people are scarier and more unpredictable than the wildlife.
    Wonderful pics and advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So what do you do with your food scraps?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darn it ,you got me gone worrying for your safety again Ariel, danger might be you surprise one of those larger critters one day, or even worse the other way around, I think Burley will always be on the alert for you, which is a huge advantage, but there is always the element for danger and even worse, there are a heck of a lot of extremely dangerous two legged critters out there also, and I don't mean big foot, could be I watch too many of those 'ol Rusty West videos though. Amazing to think all those creatures roaming wild in your back yard so to speak, here in Ireland one would have to visit Dublin or Belfast zoos to see them, I got foxes and badgers wild on my property, rather a tame bunch. I also follow a channel, Girl in the wild, a lass called Maise who lives way north of you up near the Alaska border, notice she always carries a decent sidearm strapped around her waist, I think she is being most sensible, don't know if you would ever feel the need, might not be a bad idea. Anyway stay safe and ever vigilant, Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What you are doing is common sense. It seems to be working for you and lets you live co-peacefully with all the wildlife. The wildlife is just beautiful and I love that you have captured all these amazing creatures in photo's. I know you have lots more I'm sure. Stay safe always Ariel, you are a smart and amazing women! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ariel, I love your pictures and am glad you are posting videos again. I am also a fan of Rusty West videos, but I don't think you will be featured on one of his. Lots of love to you and Burley!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know someone who like many others has set up night cameras in her urban garden to catch sigjht of foxes or any other wildlife that sheleaves food out to attract - & is Grateful every time she has a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here in Macclesfield we strap a live grizzly bear to each foot and use them as snow boots. Temperatures get so low out here we fill the bath with liquid nitrogen and hop in for a soak to warm up. In summer the main danger is gators. One done took my leg off in a swamp once, I had to wrest it from his scaly maws, beat him to death with it, used his body as a kayak and rode him home using my severed leg as a paddle. Still, for all the trials, I wouldn't swap my life in the depths of Cheshire for life in a warm office and electric lamps. Give me a bearskin for a home and the stars to light my way and I'm as happy as a coot in a dungheap. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello everyone, My name is Ortega and I am from Canada. I'm so excited reading your blog today after a long time here, I want to share my little life experience late with Dr K1 traditional herbal doctor who cured my breast cancer and also help me with a that bind me and my daughter together, After a long fighting with my daughter and I never knew that Dr K1 could have be that powerful until he helped my life.
    Dr K1 cures all kinds of diseases e.g' HIV,Herpes,Lupus,Cancer,HPV,Spiritual Consultations.

    Contact him now on drk1healingcentre@gmail.com / www.drk1healingcentre.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete