Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Feet, Shoes, & Work Around the Homestead - Xero Shoes Mesa Trail ii Review



Feet. Most of the time we don't think much about them, but if they didn't do their job, almost nothing I do all day would be possible. So they are pretty important. As you know, in the depth of winter I love my custom made fur boots and wear them every day. But in the warmer months, warmer being a general term around here since much of the summer we get freezes at night too, there are often times my feet need a little protection due to cold, sharp objects in the ground, or just not being tough enough to handle the abrasions of miles of hiking over the rocks in the mountains here. While I have no interest in a shoe that offers "support" or a cast like atmosphere that prevents my feet from operating as they were designed to do, there is a company I have liked for years, Xero Shoes. They make footwear that is just what I want. Some protection, much like a pair of gloves for my feet, without interfering much at all in their ability to function naturally.

 Actually I first purchased a pair of soles from them to make my own sandals before they even made sandals and only offered make-your-own materials. Then they started making sandals themselves, so I purchased those just to save the time on making my own. Then they started making shoes so I picked up a pair of those the next time I wore out a set I had. I've since purchased several more as I wear out each set. And then Xero Shoes sent out a note asking for shoe testers for their newest models. 


Now I get multiple offers ever single day from some company or another who sends me a message something along the lines of "We've seen your channel and have a product that would be a good fit. We'll send you one of our great new thingymajigits and pay you $xxx to feature it in an ad or video." Almost none of these offers are for items I can imagine anyone having a use for. Some of them are products I would actively encourage folks to avoid. But either way, those messages all get ignored. I only recommend items to others if I have been using and loving them for years all on my own. However Xero Shoes is very much in that later camp. So when the put out a call for shoe testers, I said sure! I would love to do that and help a company that already makes something I love and buy, keep producing great footwear. So a few months back they gave me a pair of one of their newest shoe models, the Mesa Trail ii to wear and review. 




Yep, that's me when I was a whole lot younger. As you can see from many of the photos my mother had snapped of those years, I did run around truly barefoot most of the time. But then I did live in a warmer part of the world, spent less time walking around the mountains, and wasn't working to clean up and reclaim a little abandoned and trashed (with bits of barbed wire and broken glass scattered around the property) acreage and turn it into a useful and productive little homestead .


I've now been wearing the new Mesa Trail ii's for many projects around our place for a few months and really like them. As you can see below, they have a nice grippy tread that looks like a mountain bike tire to me. And the traction is great on rock, snow, and ice. It's also good at picking up mud at this time of year as summer turns into winter.



Since I have been wearing these for a while without anyone noticing, you can see a whole bunch more of this pair of shoes in action around our place in this video too:





I hate hauling weight around in general and one of the things I've always liked about Xero's shoes is how lightweight they are. The next best thing to actually wearing nothing at all, is a shoe that weighs about 6 1/2 oz and can roll up like a sock. This is possible with all the pairs of sandals or shoes that I have purchased from Xero and that is also great for living in small spaces or going backpacking so they are a very good fit for me. 




They are also a good looking simple and practical shoe I think. Yep, they make them in all kinds of bright colors too if that is your thing. However I've always liked simple and more muted colors myself so all my pairs have been black, grey, brown, or blue. They do what they need to do and don't really catch your attention. Just what I like in a shoe.


They really are like a tough glove for your feet. With a much more aggressive tread than models like the Prio which I also have walked through several pairs of. Those are fine for summer, town trips, etc. but I really do like these better for any slicker conditions, rocks, and hiking. They are both quite comfortable to wear all day. Whether going for a hike, gardening, or just chores around the property. I know I will be wearing these till they wear the whole way out, and then buying more. 





Even Burley, Zipper, and Velcro all seem to like them, though you'd have to speak dog or cat to get their reviews. 







The chickens seemed more indifferent to them. Unless I'm wearing them with a scoop full of grain in my hands. At which they all come running!


Find your own at https://xeroshoes.com/go/FyNyth where if you make a purchase, they also send me a commission at no cost to you! And you'll be helping pay the bills, like buying chicken feed, around our little homestead. We all thank you!

P.S. If you are reading this shortly after I wrote this post, I just learned they are having a sale and you will save 20% on any of their new styles. And save an ADDITIONAL 5% when you grab at least 2 different styles. The discount will appear in your cart automatically!


10 comments:

  1. Love my Xeros! All the photos with the animals are especially fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried the link you had but it did not work, however I went there and bought the shoes anyway . Thank you, as I hate waring shoes also and most are very uncomfortabel for me,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a barefoot kid and adult too, only took on flip-flops when the laws in N.America required it. However, I ran into problems with my feet, to my dismay, and have found that at 72 Chacos serve me well for the warm months. With age one's feet may behave differently than one expects. I hope you Zero wearers can continue to do so. I think I need the support that you have summarily dismissed and I though would try them, I am afraid to do irreparable damage so continue with my status quo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just ordered a pair and did not get the discount. Left a voicemail with my order # and contact info. Hopefully they'll adjust my total! This is more than I typically pay for shoes I can't try on first, but my faves are no longer made and I'm forced to try new options! I also seem to need some support, but perhaps that's because I've worn shoes with support for years. So I'm curious to try something that's got a wider toe box (the big plus) and less restriction to see if it works for me. If not, they'll be a really expensive pair of slippers (which are also in need of replacements). LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Followup to my comment 40 minutes ago. Xero Shoes called me back and said they'd issue me a "refund" (the discount after the fact) and send me an email confirming. That was fast!

      Delete
  5. Ariel, looking back on those lovely old photos, you were always a gorgeous, sweet, wee cookie, sure would not like to be on the receiving end of the toe tip of one of your Xero boots though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there a discount code? I went over to by some shoes, but I could tell the link took me to a place where I won't get a discount and you won't get a commission. I am gonna contact them to work it out, but you should know that the link in your video notes is not working correctly.

    LOVE the sweet photos of you as a child! ♥️👟

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's applied automatically through tonight yet and then that specific sale ends. Does this link work? xeroshoes.com/winter22sale I checked all the links above and they seem to work fine from my computer.

      Delete
  7. Hello everyone, My name is Ortega and I am from Canada. I'm so excited reading your blog today after a long time here, I want to share my little life experience late with Dr K1 traditional herbal doctor who cured my breast cancer and also help me with a that bind me and my daughter together, After a long fighting with my daughter and I never knew that Dr K1 could have be that powerful until he helped my life.
    Dr K1 cures all kinds of diseases e.g' HIV,Herpes,Lupus,Cancer,HPV,Spiritual Consultations.

    Contact him now on drk1healingcentre@gmail.com / www.drk1healingcentre.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Great blog! I also have my favorite shoe model. I walk a lot every day, so I always need to be as comfortable as possible.

    ReplyDelete