Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Tiny House Garden - Is the Gopher Proofing Working?


The garden above is the one I started as soon as the snow melted my very first spring here in the tiny house. And after a lot of work to create it, mostly involving removing truckloads worth of rocks from the size of chicken eggs to dinosaur eggs (seriously, some weighed more than me! 💪), it thrived for several years. Those rocks all went into helping form the lane that leads to my house. Then that lovely garden was discovered by evil marauding little demons. Otherwise known as
northern pocket gophers. These little rodents, about twice the size of a mouse, are voracious eaters of green plants. Frustratingly, they almost never come above the ground surface. Instead choosing to pull plants down underground by their roots and eating them. I've still only seen their heads above ground three times total over all the years since they moved in. 



 For just one example, the year they found my garden, this is what the pea bed was looking like. Well a few days before this photo it had neat rows of pea plants with no gaps at all. Now able to move freely underground (Remember those truckloads of rocks I moved? With all those in the way of tunnel digging it hadn't been a livable location for them before.) they munched through every pea plant in that bed but one. And at least 75% of the rest of the garden. And if you are trying to produce the food you eat, that's pretty devastating. No amount of trying to discourage, various live traps, various dead traps, smoke, car exhaust, filling tunnels with water, explosives, etc. and as a last resort, buried poisons, phased them at all over a couple years of trying. Failing not only to kill, but also failing to even discourage a single one as far as I could tell. And sure, if you want, go ahead and link to all the different ways different folks have tried to get rid of these guys. I already read or watched them all and tried every one that I could here. 😀 Just shy of Caddy Shack style, but I might have detonated a few small things. So I gave up on the idea of fighting them and decided to move and rebuild the entire garden. 


With cement (not cinder) blocks and hardware cloth underneath hoping that would prevent the possibility of chewing through from any direction. Since they almost never even stick their heads out of the ground, I hoped they would not be willing to surface long enough to climb over the top. And figured if they did they would probably be somewhat claustrophobic inside the beds as the sides and bottom would prevent them from tunneling where they wanted to. You can see all the steps to how I put the new beds together in this video if you hadn't seen it before - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T1Dhosptfw .   


And last year, I was rewarded for the somewhat massive amount of work that took, with this beautiful and productive veggie garden. Not a single gopher made it in. But I've continued to hold my breath wondering how long that will last. Since they still merrily eat through everything else they can get to like the less rocky edges of the yard, all my herbs, flowers, etc. So I was very curious as the snow receded this spring on the second year of these beds to see if any gophers had found a way in. 


In the not fortified growing areas like my mint bed above, this is what just a fraction of their tunnels looked like this spring when the snow receded. And supposedly they don't like mint and you should plant it to discourage them. Ha ha! Below is part of the yard and herb/medicinal flower beds. 



But the fortified garden beds seem to be holding! In several places you can see where they tunneled through the paths and right up to and tried to get through the blocks. But without success.


If you move some of their piled dirt like up against the garlic bed (The last year in the old garden, they'd eaten every single garlic plant too, though that is something else they are not supposed to like and you're told to plant to deter them.) here you can see how after hitting the concrete, they burrowed down and that tunnel follows the bottom of the hardware cloth as far as I could see or feel under the bed. But they didn't get in! And while you can't really see the tiny shoots in this photo, the garlic is starting to sprout up. 


So far, I have to say the new beds are a real success. The galvanized hardware cloth, now underground for almost 2 years shows no signs of wear or rust at all. And of course the blocks look just the same. At the moment anyway, I am very happy with the beds overall and would anticipate doing the same thing, only a layer or two of blocks deeper for greater soil depth and ease of gardening as I age, in a long term location for gardening. Hopefully that experience and feedback is helpful if you have gopher problems, are just building or setting up a garden and want to avoid the problems in the first place, or were just curious how my setup was working out! 


42 comments:

  1. I hope you are doing the happy dance! They are hard to stop!! Hurray! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping my fingers crossed that they won't find a way around it, but yes, very happy for now. :)

      Delete
  2. Do you have issues with grasshoppers? Here in northern AZ, every summer the monsoons bring up hordes of grasshoppers, so I don't have a garden. I tried some indoor herbs, but had a white fly problem. Apparently they clone themselves, so I gave up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet. But I since I have a few bird feeders and a little bath/drinking tub our for them to, they seem to keep all the bugs in check. I have hundreds of little birds. I suspect our cold climate helps some too with keeping bugs from exploding in population.

      Delete
  3. Hopefully your fox friend will invite his buddies in once they realize there is a new dinner table for them. I heard it may take a couple of years for the hunting animals and birds of prey to fully realize that there is a good source of rodents in a new place. Good luck this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's foxes here almost every night, but I think they'd have to come dozens at a time to really make a difference. But I'm thankful for any they do eat for sure!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful, I remember watching and thinking this was a great idea when you first did it. I have very sandy soil and more then my share of gophers so your success has inspired me to get started although on a smaller scale. Three (4x6) beds. Thanks Also really enjoyed the video brief by the Dr. on corona-virus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely! I hope everything is growing well for you so far!

      Delete
  5. Good Morning Ariel, Northern Pocket Gophers? A rodent is a rodent! Damage is their middle name. I live in a small town and yet I have rabbits, squirrels and ground hogs bigger than my neighbors Scottie. The ground hogs have actually gone toe to toe with the dog. Yikes!! Ariel, where did you get your Cement blocks? What a great idea. I'm starting a cottage garden in my FRONT yard.Saw it on Jeri Landers channel Hopalong Hollow out of TN.Look her up...You Will LOVE her. As always love your channel. TY for being you. Cathy M. PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to buy a couple pallets off a friend who had them sitting around unused after they'd been recovered from an old building. He didn't have a use for them and I did so that worked out well for both of us. Another friend mentioned Hopalong Hollow too, I need to look her up. Best wishes with your gardening!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on your continued success with the design. We have problems with chipmunks and voles. Our new bed will be built pretty much the same way..fingers crossed🤞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chipmunks still run up and down the blocks, but during the day, Burley keeps an eye on them. But so far it is working well for stopping all the burrowing things. Best wishes with yours!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad to hear of your success with that. Do you have a video on moving the rocks? We may have to do that ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't. That would have made a good one, but that project happened before I'd ever started making videos. All I have is photos you can see here - https://fynyth.blogspot.com/2015/05/adding-garden-and-trail.html

      Delete
  8. Beautiful! If I were a gopher I'd head straight for it.. An army of rats invaded my garden 3 years ago, going after spilled bird-food (I do a lot of that). Traps accounted for all but the most wary, then (reluctantly) poison put paid to the rest. But you have to be very careful. I feed even more now, but the rats have not returned. (Fingers crossed).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were able to resolve the issue! Thankfully I've not had to deal with rats yet.

      Delete
  9. I just watched MIgardener and he said not to use cinder block because they hold water and break up when they freeze. I guess that they don't sell them around you and why you used concrete blocks. How did you get up all the rocks? With all the rocks that I have picked up around my place one can't tell if any are missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are some in the area, but yes, not what I have. I was able to buy a couple pallets off a friend who had them sitting around unused after they'd been recovered from an old building. He didn't have a use for them and I did so that worked out well for both of us. I've not filled the holes with soil as I am afraid that would freeze and swell bursting the blocks. So far they've made it through two winters ok, but I'm sure they won't last forever. I still have lots of rocks. Just removed the largest ones to get about 4 inches of soil and then have been adding compost and growing that soil depth over time. You can see photos of that when I first made the garden here - https://fynyth.blogspot.com/2015/05/adding-garden-and-trail.html I think you have even more rocks than I do though.

      Delete
  10. Glad to hear you're having success keeping the gophers at Bay! My large pests are rabbits and groundhogs. This year I fenced in a big garden section using chicken wire buried several inches into the ground. In theory they could did under it but I don't think that's too likely. I think they are more opportunistic feeders and mainly eat whatever is easily accessible.

    There's a YouTube channel called Man about Tools that shows another interesting approach to building concrete raised beds by forming concrete panels in reusable forms. He experiments with lightweight concrete too to lower the weight of the panels.

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZIMIDEiQu3IwuRHd8teRV0VFOT5ldHK2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I hope that's continuing to work well for you, sounds like a lovely setup.

      Delete
  11. Hope you have continued success keeping those destructive little creatures out...your garden was amazing last year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm leaning toward galvanized horse troughs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your idea of using horse troughs but would also be inclined to using the water wicking method from the bottom of the trough or container as the gentleman, "Gardening with Leon" promotes or teaches in his You-tube channel. S. Carolina

      Delete
    2. Those both sound like good options!

      Delete
  13. Am I the only one who is surprised that Ariel made a reference to Caddyshack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a few co-workers who loved that movie. :)

      Delete
  14. In Ohio....bunnys and deer. My garden last year was a supermarket for them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy it's gotten better! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a subscriber to another channel, FlavCity. In EVERY episode he features his adorable 10 month old baby daughter. And he is doing vids several times a week. Are you sure you can't go back to YouTube? I'm also willing to bet you are VERY trired of this question. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lots of plans! Just too busy with several other things at the moment. Hopefully there will be lots more videos some time and some where.

      Delete
  17. The wire mesh works for rats too! I was feeding my chickens and squirrels and a huge rat population. The combination of mesh under, around and over the chicken runs and a new product on the market for rat birth control is finally making a dent in the rat infestation. (On my property in the middle of Denver).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful that it's working for you too!

      Delete
  18. I don't know if this method would discourage your pests, but in the past we have had good success with putting some juicy fruit gum in the holes for moles...you must be careful not to get human smell on it, so when unwrapping use some rubber gloves, etc. Best wishes...you have things so nicely set up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far they've not been convinced by that, but I continue to try different things. And thanks! :)

      Delete
  19. What about that big gopher Burley? Doesn't he like to dig in your beds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, he gets to dig rodents out if he can in the woods etc. But he knows that no digging or walking in the garden beds is allowed. He's really good about that.

      Delete
  20. You deserve admiration for your lifestyle, your home is perfect, truly tiny at 24ft yet appears so spacious. You remind me of myself when I was younger, not afraid of hard work, love to can and be self sufficient. Seen many tiny homes but yours is the exactly what would suit me. Practicality is first. In your 6 yrs have you ever been bothered or damage from bears? Your garden and flowers are beautiful, I'm originally from northern Ill. so I know cold winters surprised your summers are so short, is it bc you are at a high altitude? Your fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete