Sunday, June 28, 2020

The Best Brownies Ever (And they're healthy!)


Do you like brownies? Especially rich soft almost fudge like brownies? Then this is the recipe for you! You know how most of the time when you see something labeled "gluten free," "dairy free," "vegan," etc you can often assume it's kind of a shadow of the normal version. Less wonderful but maybe edible? At least that's often been my experience. These are not like that. They are better than any other brownie I've ever had!  And everyone
I've ever served them to has seemed to feel the same. A full pan never lasts very long. 



My original inspiration came from this recipe - https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chickpea-brownies-recipe/ though as usual, I added some of my own variations. But she also has a lot of wonderful other recipes you might like to check out too!


First blend your beans into a smoothish paste. I find a blender works just fine, but a food processor might be even better. 


Then I mix all the other ingredients in a bowl as you can see above, and then stir in the beans.


Amazing Bean Brownies!

2 cans chickpeas, black beans, or both
1/2 c. cocoa powder
2/3 cup flour, I used a gluten free mix, but you can use any you like
6 T. applesauce
6 T. coconut oil / coconut milk / or eggs if you prefer
2 t. vanilla extract
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt 
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 cup sugar or honey
1 cup chocolate chips


Spread batter in 9x13 pan. Extra chocolate chips on top make them even prettier! Bake for 14 minutes at 330 degrees, then chill the still underbaked brownies in the fridge until firm. They take a bit to get firm, so plan to not cut into them till the next day unless you like brownie mush. 


But man these are amazing! And they are high in protein, as well as pretty nutrient dense. Give them a try and tell me what you think!




18 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious! Love the healthy ingredient list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many eggs would you use and the place of the coconut oil?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I used three the time I experimented with that version.

      Delete
  4. OMG! those look decadent and yummy. Chick peas, go figure. Thanks Arial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of shocking how good they are. :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing🥰......Boy do I miss watching your cooking videos 😥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss chocolate cake and have been looking for ways to make it. Chick peas are a wonderful thing. I saw that you can use the water after boiling them to make meringue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that but haven't tried a meringue yet. Some day I'll get around to it. Have you? If you like chocolate cake, you might like this one. https://barefeetinthekitchen.com/unforgettable-chocolate-quinoa-cake-recipe I can't remember if it's the exact one I've looked at before, but I've made several quinoa chocolate cakes and they were all really wonderful too.

      Delete
  7. These look incredible! What size of canned beans did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A 15 or 16 oz can when using canned beans. Sometimes I've just cooked my own dry beans and then used 4 cups of cooked beans.

      Delete
  8. I should not have read this before eating breakfast.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to see a video of you making these. -Kris :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! What's not to like about these!! ... With perhaps Coconut flour in the mix and cacao nibs

    ReplyDelete