Sunday, February 28, 2021

Burley Loving Life in the Snow


As you know if you have been following life here in Fy Nyth for any length of time, Burley adores the snow! He loves winter, and I think must believe that summer is this odd little time of year when his wonderful snow melts temporarily. If you have seen some of our backpacking trips in the summer, you probably remember him searching out any snow patches left high in the mountains and racing right to them to roll in and do belly slides on. But right now he doesn't have to search at all to find snow. We are just wrapping up the second snowiest February ever recorded in my area. The all time snowiest one was just two years ago in 2019 which was the first winter of Burley's life.


Since snow and cold make him so happy, I though I would share a little of his joyful exuberance with you all. He makes me smile and I thought you might too. Here's a little video of some of his snowy antics.



And then just lots of shots of him playing in the winter wonderland. That thick double coat English Shepherds have been bred with for generations, with a super soft downy layer of insulating fur under their top layer of silky guard hair which shed everything off of them, certainly keeps him nice and warm. He never seems to notice the cold at least down to -30F ish and spend a lot of time outside together in all the winter temps. 



He loves fetching his frisbee and disk, diving after them in the snow with so much energy. 



He can come up from a "snow dive" covered in powdery white, but almost all winter the snow here is dry and cold enough that one shake leaves him clean and dry again. 






You can just see how happy he is, whether the sun is shinning (fairly rare in the winter here) or it's dumping yet more snow. 




And of course, Burley joins me for all the projects I do at our home or others. Which at this time of year means he comes along for a lot of snow shoveling jobs. Do you have a companion that loves snow or one of those that hates anything cold or frozen? 


20 comments:

  1. I enjoy seeing Burley's snow adventures. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one beautiful, entertaining doggo; of what breed is he?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss my border collie who also had a beautiful undercoat as they do in scottish lines who never wanted to come inside when it was snowing. We don't deserve dogs. They are a much better species than we are!
    I 'm so happy you have the lovely companion you have and I know you'll enjoy every day with him as much as he enjoys you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great seeing you and Burley. He sure does love the snow! I thought of you over the weekend as I was starting seedlings for broccoli and Brussels sprouts for my vegetable garden. Are you making plans for a garden yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, I envy you
    Lot's of love from the other side of the world ����

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again, thank you for your update_ always appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  8. Burley being the Man in the snow just makes my day. Thanks for remembering your Flock and giving us just one more thing to be happy about. Take care, Ariel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you ever had to pull him out of the deep snow?

    ReplyDelete
  10. loved it, thank you, Herb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Burley is such a handsome, joyful dog! Love watching him in the snow--yes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Burley has such a handsome expressive fave, he is the George Clooney of dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Someday Ariel I hope you will have an opportunity to write a very beautiful and wonderful book outlining your life and adventures in the mountainous region of N.W. Wyoming. If you ever do, do not forget to include lots of those mouth watering recipes of yours, will be first in line for a copy. That Burley boy is some darn character, would deserve a book devoted all to himself, hope he dont lose himself in all that snow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Ariel, And some say dogs don't smile...Of course they do! My Australian Shepherd Caylee(anglicized Gaelic/Ceili meaning "joyful dance") loves being outside but our snow this winter has been icy. Slows her down a bit. BYW and FYI Just went to see a 1999 Chevy Astro. Inspired by your 2018 video tour of your Astro, I've been searching. It's in great shape, 4.3l, 6 cylinder engine. Needs a bit of work, but hey...it's 22 years old. If I buy it I'll send you a picture. LOL Cathy Miller Sayre, PA

    ReplyDelete
  15. He is one magnificent dog.♥️ So gorgeous. I surely enjoy your updates. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never tired of seeing Burley! He is so beautiful and a very happy dog. Our dogs love the snow too, they are like me when I see spring arrive. lol They see the snow and bug me to go out to play in it, kicking up their heels, jumping and running all over the place. The two mini Aussie Shepherds love to put their heads and bodies in the snow like Burley does. The big German Shepherd will take her snoot and push through the snow. They all crack me up, they definitely love the snow too. Maybe it is because of their thick double coats, wish I had one! lol Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Luv watching Burley play in the snow. Yes, my chocolate lab, Astro, LUVs the cold and snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We just had the biggest snow we have had in Arkansas in over 30 years! We got 18+ inches and the weather stayed below freezing for a week so it stuck around. My dogs LOVED it! They both have a double coat too. Love your pictures and videos of Burley playing in the snow! Makes me smile too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How do you keep him and your tiny house clean? Do you bathe him regularly or run him through the stream? This may be more of a question for the melt season? I struggle with our indoor/outdoor dogs and our homestead which has plenty of muddy spots post precip.

    ReplyDelete