Sunday, January 31, 2021

Make Your Own Vanilla Extract & Save! Tiny House Cooking


If you cook, especially bake, much at all. Or have ever made a simple batch of cookies one time, you have probably used a recipe that called for vanilla extract at some point. And if you want the real stuff, you probably noticed, it is expensive! There is a reason. Real vanilla extract is made from a vanilla bean which grows from an orchid. And orchids are a bit touchy, slow growing, and only produce so many vanilla beans. They also don't grow in cold places like the Wyoming mountains though they are quite lovely if you care to go look up some photos of the plant. Anyway, much of the "vanilla extract" sold in the world today, up to 99% by some estimates, is artificial. There is a reason it is so popular, mostly the price. While real vanilla beans contain at least 250 flavor and scent compounds that seem to almost universally delight the human senses, those compounds also seem to enhance our enjoyment of other flavors in our foods. Artificial vanilla on the other hand, mostly focuses on imitating a single one of those compounds, vanillin. And does not come from a vanilla bean at all, but is synthesized in a factory from wood pulp or wood-tar creosote. Sounds tasty, right? While it does a decent job of imitating that complicated flavor so many of us humans seem to love, it is not the same. So why does the artificial stuff make up the vast majority of all the vanilla used in the world? Price. The real stuff runs about $3 to $8 per ounce depending on the quality and volume you want to buy. While the artificial stuff can be found for as little as $0.16 per ounce. But it is actually quite easy to make you own real extract! Mostly what it takes is waiting time. I have been making my own for years now and it's satisfying, fun, and can save a lot of money if you enjoy that real complicated flavor and like to bake much. Plus you only need two ingredients! 


The first one being vanilla beans. Unless you live somewhere tropical or with a big greenhouse and are growing your own, you will probably need to buy these. Depending on the harvest in any given year, their prices can go up and down a lot. Six years ago when I made my most recent batch, they were running about $1 a bean. Many of the years in between, there must have been poor harvests as I saw prices at least five times that. So if you want to make this, though I can't predict the future prices, right now is overall a pretty good time to get some beans. I purchased mine through this seller and was very happy with them. https://amzn.to/2MyOLQV 


The second ingredient is vodka. Or really any hard alcohol like rum, whiskey, etc, but vodka is one of the best for doing most extracts as it has almost no flavor of it's own to interfere with the vanilla flavor. I usually go for whatever bottle is on sale at the moment, though you do want it to be at least 80 proof (or 40% alcohol which is the same thing). Then you get to the very complicated part.

Open the bottle, pour out an ounce or so to make some room, and put the vanilla beans inside and put the cap back on. And place in a cool dark spot like the back of a cupboard for at least two months. The longer it sits, the stronger the flavor will be. That's it!

Some people like to get all fancy and split their beans in half first or chop them up. While this will let the extract get more of the flavor out a little faster, I choose to be lazy and just put the whole beans in and give my extract plenty of time. Some folks also like to strain out their beans after six months. I don't see any reason to bother as the flavor just gets better with time. So mine sit in there until the bottle is totally empty and then I dice the beans up and add to something a cake or batch of cookies. 

As far as proportions, what I did was a 1.75L bottle of vodka minus a splash to make room for the beans, and 25 vanilla beans. I wanted to have a bunch, to have it on hand for years, and not have to think about it again for a while. You do not need to do a batch that large. Most folks seem to use about 4 beans per 6 to 8 ounces of vodka which is about what my batch works out to being as well. So you can do the math and make a batch any size you like.

For my batch, I spent about $12 for the vodka and $23 for the beans at that time. Remember, I made this batch 6 years ago. For a total of $35 to end up with about 61 ounces of real vanilla extract. Based on the low end of prices at $3 per ounce, were I to go purchase those 61 ounces it would cost me $183 (at the higher end that would be nearly $500!) instead of $35. So as you can see, not only is this easy, if you are going to use vanilla extract, you can also save a lot of money just by taking the time to toss some beans in a bottle and then forget about it for a while. Seriously, that's about as easy as any recipe could possibly get! 


Look how dark it gets as all those wonderful flavors are extracted! The above photo is from just a few days ago, and I even took it outside so the bright white snowy world would let you see as much detail of the beans in there as possible since the extract is so dark. The lighter photos earlier in the post were from the day I made this so you can see how clear the vodka started out for comparison. Additionally you can see how much I have used in the intervening years since making this batch, so I should be good for a while yet before I need to make another bottle. 

Have you ever make your own vanilla extract? If not, do you want to give it a try now?

30 comments:

  1. Inspirational.... I use vanilla in my Buckwheat pancakes....I really should...and will make my own, Thanoks, Ariel! Hugs to Burley 🐾🐾

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanoks... a new take on thanks * haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ariel ! This is so easy ! And, you have just inspired me to try making it myself !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Ariel. I'd not realised how simple it was to make. I'm amazed! Will be making my own from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I do and have made it for gifts as well. Love homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ariel. I see Organic Beans or should I say ONE bean in the store being sold for $11+ and think how expensive! So, thank you for the link..I just ordered those beans. Are you using Organic Vodka or not necessarily?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just returned from Hawaii where I toured a family owned vanilla bean farm. They taught us how to make are own vanilla, and I purchased beans from them. Their instructions were 3 beans for 12 ounces and let it sit for 6 months. I’m excited to make and try this! I heard you talk about yours on one of your videos, and I was inspired. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never knew how to make vanilla extract. Thanks for this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ^I also enjoy making my own vanilla flavoring and have been for several years. I just keep adding beans as needed and occasionally add a little more vodka. I usually buy grade B beans on e-bay which are a bit cheaper. For those who are not alcohol drinkers as myself, the vanilla beans will eventually be absorbed by the vodka and you wind up with a very rich flavoring. I enjoy using it liberally in cooked cereals along with lots of Shri lanka cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been wanting to make my own vanilla extract for a while now, now I know I'm going to do it. Never thought to put the beans right in the liquor bottle though, and was going to buy bottles. I'm glad you did this post because know I won't be buying bottles! Thanks Ariel, as always you are a wealth of knowledge! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed this post. Have ordered the beans and look forward to doing this with a person I am teaching to cook. I love good vanilla. I stopped using the fake stuff many years ago. I look forward to my finished vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started brewing some last June using Everclear (190 proof)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so kind to share with us, Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect timing. I just bought some vanilla beans. I put a couple in a sugar container and was thinking about doing this, now i know, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ariel, I love this post because I have made vanilla in this same manner. However, it was in Sept. of 2007. My sister and I got together and made 10 yes ten bottles of vanilla. That's 10 fifths of Vodka. We have never done anything in small batches. :-) But in our defense, our plans were to put it in lovely glass bottles and give as Christmas gifts. WELL, I forgot about them and found my bottles in my buffet. Now we are talking 13 year old vanilla. Do you think it is still good to use? YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband just made homemade vanilla extract like this for the first time a few months ago and we are using it now! It tastes great and is much cheaper than buying the real stuff at the grocery store. Love your blog and You Tube channel, Ariel!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never knew making vanilla extract could be so simple Ariel, thanks a bunch for taking time to show us how easy the process actually is.Love the stuff in scones and other bits an bobs I bake when I have got the time, will be buying a bottle of vodka and some pods next time I go to town,. Hope Burley enjoyed the excess vodka with a few tasty cabbage hearts,I dont drink alcohol, but ol Harry who lives the far side of lough wont refuse, though he would much refer a dram of poitin, Irish moonshine, very popular in these parts. Rocket fuel and totally illegal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tip , I'll try it with Tequila my favorite drink.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always appreciate hearing from you in any form of media. Special normality is a blessing you bring to me in these very dark times.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Ariel, for sharing a wonderful tip on making homemade vanilla. I did not know how easy it is to make. I just started my batch tonight 7 Feb 2021 for the first time.
    I hope what I am using for the ingredients will be okay,
    I am using a quart jar that I could only fill with 29 ounces of Seagram's Vodka 80 Proof and added 20 native vanilla beans.

    My favorite ice cream is Vanilla, so when this batch is ready I will try it out and see how it tastes. I wonder how much vanilla extract it will take for the ice cream, I have no idea yet.
    I like vanilla cookies but but not the store bought kind.
    Ariel, have you ever made vanilla cookies, if you have could you please share how you make them.
    Thank you, again for sharing a wonderful how to make vanilla extract.
    Respectfully,
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's a wonderfull place to live. She is enjoying her life more than the people iving in a city.Great lady

    ReplyDelete
  22. Here in southern Michigan Monday night, we had our biggest snowfall of the year so far. Only about 5 inches at my campsite but a lot of drifts double that, and followed by the coldest night, at -14. I woke up feeling so incredibly lucky to be warm in my own Tiny House, sitting on my sofa, sipping coffee with my pooch, Enzo, snuggled against me, gazing out the window at the frozen stillness. This is my third winter in my own Tiny and I have never been more content. Your blog was and continues to be full of practical inspiration. Best wishes to you and Burley.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've made my own vanilla....first try was with a "nipper" sized bottle of vodka so it would fit with my spices! came out wonderful. I've also done cinnamon extract with sticks which is yummy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well my dear, you have just been binge watched/read! I bet you that's a unique take on your blog! I've spent the last 4 days going through your entire story from the beginning. So impressive! All made more easy by all your friends, networking, family support. You are rock, but you sure aren't an island! I have learned so much from your texts and videos, and have dropped a couple of questions here and there, but since they're on older posts, they probably won't get noticed. But no worries! It's weird to cuz I don't even remember how I got to your blog! I'm feeling much more inspired, cuz for this wanderer, it's not been a good year, and you've risen up my spirits! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I had ordered the beans through Amazon and ended up first with B grade and then second guessed myself and ordered the A grade ($48.00 or so). They sat in my cupboard for a month or more and then yesterday I recalled that I had them, stopped by the local liquor store and got the vodka ($10) and proceeded to reduce the volume of 'hooch' and dropped all of the pods into the bottle. It said to shake the bottle daily for a month---what's that all about? I am following your advice and setting the bottle back in a cabinet to percolate for a couple of months and then it's baking time! I had this vlog of yours saved so I could do it 'right'. Thanks, Ariel. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Vodka in my state is ridiculously priced compared to what I could get it for in neighboring states. I live in a state that controls alcohol purchases over a certain proof. Control means limited supply and if you took a good basic economics course in college or have read a good basic economics book, you know that limited supply means higher price. It would still be cheaper to make my own, but it burns me up that I have to pay a higher price for alcohol because the state controls its sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For those who have a gluten sensitivity or allergy, Cirrus vodka is made from potatoes.

      Delete

  27. Hi my name is Regina from Los Angeles, California. I was tired of worrying all the time where the next pay check would come from. Life seemed merely a succession of bills and worrying about how to pay them. One late night while surfing the internet, curiosity got the best of me and I started researching on Bitcoin and cryptocurrency. My long hours of research paid off and I was able to discover a method of making money that would change my life via an expert trader. I saw very good and tempting reviews about David Benjamin and decided to give him a try. I put together my last $1,000 without paying my bills yet and i contacted him and made my first investment. In about 6 days i could see a substantial amount of money in my wallet. At the end of the first trading session which was 7 days I was able to withdraw $10,200 other subsequent trades were also profitable. This is my story to financial independence. Please contact this information on WhatsApp +1 408 500 0775 or email davidbenjaminexptrader at outlook dot com

    ReplyDelete
  28. CRYPTO RECOVERY IS REAL!!!

    ( MorrisGray830 At gmail Dot Com, is the man for the job )
    This man is dedicated to his work and you can trust him more than yourself. I contacted him a year and a half Ago and he didn't succeed. when i got ripped of $491,000 worth of bitcoins by scammers, I tried several recovery programs with no success too. I kept on. And now after so much time Mr Morris Gray contacted me with a success, and the reward he took was small because obviously he is doing this because he wants to help idiots like me who fell for crypto scam, and love his job. Of course he could have taken all the coins and not tell me , I was not syncing this wallet for a year, but he didn't.
    He is the MAN guys , He is! If you have been a victim of crypto scam before you can trust Morris Gray 10000000%. I thought there were no such good genuine guys anymore on earth, but Mr Morris Gray brought my trust to humanity again. GOD bless you sir...you can reach him via ( MORRIS GRAY 830 at Gmaill dot com...

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is unbelievable, at first I never actually built any interest in this Binary/Forex trading of a thing but when I later gave it a try with the Help of this wonderful Expert Trader Mr Mark Toray, it was a successful trade for me. All i did was to invest $550 into my first trading and to my greatest surprise, I received a huge amount of $6,520 as profit in 7 days of trading... Mr Mark Toray was the trader that made it possible and he is still doing it all for me.. You want to be happy and be free like me do well to reach out to her via Whatsapp +1 (301) 410‑5007, Email: Marktoray8@gmail.com, Telegram: @Mark4toray_fx

    ReplyDelete