Sunday, May 9, 2021

Lessons Learned While Shopping for a Tiny House/Homestead Property

So, as you probably are aware, the journey for Fy Nyth to find a permanent home, since I've always known my current location was temporary, has gone on for many years. After several years, finding a lovely property and then having a big issue arise with the attempt instal a toxic smelter directly upwind of that property as I discussed in the video in the last blog post. After waiting for several years hoping to find a resolution to that situation, I decided my time and effort was better spent else ware. I still wish everyone in that area the best with overcoming their own corrupt local officials. So the search continued, Clay and I purchased a place together, and now the tiny house is now going to be moving to that new home with in a week or so if the weather cooperates.

Which is super exciting! Overall, I spent about five years actively shopping for a property. Getting to various stages of purchases in that time on different properties. Some offers made and declined. Some made, accepted, changed, and declined. And so on. Through that whole process I learned a lot of things I didn't know when I started. And I figured some of that experience might be helpful to anyone else who is shopping for a similar kind of property.

First, in the video above, I tried to cover what I was wanting to do, and there for the property characteristics that I was looking for that flowed from that. As one person said, "no one actually want's a drill, you want a hole." So figuring out what I actually wanted to do was key for me knowing whether or not something I was looking at fit those needs or not.


Then I discuss some of the bigger issues I ran into on different properties that were things I was not really aware of before starting this process. And I figured a few other folks might be in the same boat and find my experiences useful. 


And lastly, here are some of the tools and such that I found very helpful in being able to find information and details about a particular property I was intersted in. 

If you too are currently searching for a place, best wishes with that journey! And now, the next post will be on to the place we actually bought and where the tiny house is moving. 

14 comments:

  1. These were full of good information. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the house move - the literal house move! Lol. Sending good vibes for a smooth transition. Bet you wish you could take your garden soil with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck Ariel and Clay with the next phase of your lives...(Burley too)..cheers from Vancouver Island, British Columbia

    _1190299.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing you and your tiny house on your own land!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really enjoying this video series! Thank you for sharing this journey and your resulting knowledge with us. I can't wait to hear about those trees you are planting in the first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Silly advice, as you probably know this already or it's just obvious...

    Check the tyres (tires) before trying to move. They deteriorate over time. Even if they have full tread and hardly done any miles they can still be about to burst as soon as you try to move. You probably want to have a few spares, maybe borrowed (I think Fy nyth is a six wheeler??)

    Also check the brakes are not stuck on or rusted up. When you start to move her, back up a couple of feet to make sure they are free (reason - trailer brakes auto release on reverse). And the wheel bearings are still free and running smoothly.

    All the best with the move and the new location. Keep up the blogging :-)

    SomeBlokeFromCambridge

    ReplyDelete
  7. Following your adventures...
    ♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so excited to see Fy Nyth on your new property!!!! Also enjoying all the video updates you are putting on on Youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You probably won't give the location of your place/land but I'd like to know if possible how big is it in area or length/width and how much it costs, if you want of course. This spot will probably be windier (less snow on the ground) but it is also way sunnier and convenient with your solar panels and water supply as you mentioned. Also seem closer to a road.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been following your posts on youtube with great interest. Your lifestyle is what I dreamed of when younger, but unfortunately was not possible in my situation. My heart goes with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perhaps you addressed this in another video or blog post, but could you share how you financed the purchase of the property? The land in that area of Wyoming isn't cheap! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello everyone, My name is Ortega and I am from Canada. I'm so excited reading your blog today after a long time here, I want to share my little life experience late with Dr K1 traditional herbal doctor who cured my breast cancer and also help me with a that bind me and my daughter together, After a long fighting with my daughter and I never knew that Dr K1 could have be that powerful until he helped my life.
    Dr K1 cures all kinds of diseases e.g' HIV,Herpes,Lupus,Cancer,HPV,Spiritual Consultations.

    Contact him now on drk1healingcentre@gmail.com / www.drk1healingcentre.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete